PDA

Arkistonäkymässä ei tällä hetkellä lainaus erotu varsinaisesta viestistä. Suosittelemme että vilkaisette ns. täydellistä versiota: : Mantals Langd Meaning of Headings

kononoff
24.03.12, 00:50
I have located the citizen books for the village of Hyrsylä in Salmi county in Eastern Karelian for the 1818 to 1840 period and was able to locate the family I am searching for also, which was very lucky, but I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to explain the headings on the forms. They are in Swedish and I can make out some words but am having a hard time figuring out what they actually represent or mean...sounds like some have to do with taxes and people in the household.

Is there a reference source that might tell me what the various headings in the reports mean?

Many thanks, and this seems like a real interesting community.

Cheers, Ted

Heikki Särkkä
24.03.12, 09:37
I am sure there is, but the easiest way to find is to give us a picture of the headings or, alternatively, the net address of the image. Your question will then be answered in no time.

Heikki

Nedergard
24.03.12, 09:56
Here are some. Hope it helps.

Byans namn name of the village
Hemmans nummer number of home
Hemman home (=farm, estate etc.)
Mantal mantal (see wikipedia for explanation)
Rökar smokes (= number of families/house, that is basically group of people "eating the same bread". Like mantal this is a unit for taxation)
Inhyses of landless
Hemmans of home
Poduschnie betalande paying person tax
Ifrån poduschnie afgiften befriade Personer exempt from person tax
Mankön male
Qwinkön female
Summa Personer total of persons
års repartition hö part of the hay in the year
Lissbund. Scandinavian unit of measure, equivalent of about 8.5 kg
Sk:d ? propably Skattedel "taxable part"
års Brännwins Brånnings Arrende tax (or rent) for alcohol making
Anmärkningar comments

kononoff
24.03.12, 12:29
I was thinking last night I should have posted a link to one of the pages! :)

OK, here is one at the Finnish National Archives site :

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=339757

Sometimes in the "hemans nummer" column is written what looks like NB or NC and then no numbers in the next two columns, so not sure what the initials mean either.

Many thanks for everyones help!

Heikki Särkkä
24.03.12, 14:30
Arwio hufwud (lit. estimated poll) is a taxation unit. Underneath, Bonde is 'farmer' and Bobla 'landless person'.

Heikki Särkkä
24.03.12, 14:31
NB (Latin) Nota bene 'Please note'.

kononoff
24.03.12, 15:34
Thanks for further help...

In Hyrsylä 1818 there are 3 pages of names with numbers and then the last four residents are marked NB...what would the "please note" refer to.

Would it maybe mean that those four families do not live in the village proper and are nearby and hence don't have a number???

Julle
24.03.12, 16:42
< Would it maybe mean that those four families do not live in the village proper and are nearby and hence don't have a number??? >

Sometimes NB (nya bok in swedish) means new book (in english) that refers to next confessional book with or without page number.

B.R.

kononoff
25.03.12, 13:31
Hi BR

I had found that meaning on the internet also but the NB seems to be for every year, there is the village of Hyrsylä and then the last four residents, which my family member is one of are all marked NB.

Our family history is that the family was in the village of Ignoila, which is about 5km from Hyrsylä but was always treated as part of Hrysylä persay, so I am thinking that the NB might have something to do with that they were not in the village proper. Just my guess at this point!

Thanks for the feedback, this is a wonderful forum of help.

Cheers, Ted

kononoff
25.03.12, 14:17
Actually have found another letter. appears to be M, so another code to figure out?

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=379579

The others still show what looks like NB, maybe NC

Bertarido
25.03.12, 17:38
Actually have found another letter. appears to be M, so another code to figure out?

http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=379579

The others still show what looks like NB, maybe NC

NB = nybygge = new settler
Both are NB's, below four times 'do' = ditto

Heikki Särkkä
26.03.12, 16:45
I think Bertarido is right about the meaning of N:b:. I have never seen the 'Please note' NB written with a capital N and a small b. In the text under discussion there was one example of a 'Please note' NB against the abbreviation N:b:.