PDA

Arkistonäkymässä ei tällä hetkellä lainaus erotu varsinaisesta viestistä. Suosittelemme että vilkaisette ns. täydellistä versiota: : Enström or Virta in USA and Canada

TimoV
28.07.11, 12:59
Hi,
I'm investigating Virta, former Enström family origin from Seinäjoki (Östermyra), Finland. They moved to USA/Canada around 1900.

Known relatives are:
-Ernst Hjalmar (Jalmari) Virta. Lived in Sault Ste Marie
-Rose Maria Neva (born Virta). Sudbury
-Reino Virta. USA. Died in small plane accident
-Maria Charlotta Glantz (born Enström)

All information about the family, ancestors and decendants in USA and Canada is welcome.

Kind regards,
Timo

Tuiju Olsio
28.07.11, 20:01
Ernst Hjalmar Wirta s. 1885, kotipaikka Lapua sai passin 06.04.1906 (Siirtolaisuusinstituutin tiedosto)

Hjalmar Wirta s. 01.1885 löytyy vuoden 1911 censuksesta Ontario Sudbury.
Onkohan sama henkilö? Hänellä vaimo ja kaksi lasta.

23-vuotias Maria Enström lähti Suomesta 17.04.1893, lähtöpaikka Vaasa, määränpää Boston, Massachusetts. Samalla Lipulla 25-vuotias Maria Storm (Siirtolaisuusinstituutin tiedosto).

Onko näille kysytyille henkilöille syntymäaikoja tai edes syntymävuotta tiedossa?

TimoV
28.07.11, 21:58
Hjalmar on sama henkilö. Hänen ja perheen "kohtalo" on tiedossa. Osalle listalta löytyy syntymäajat. Laitan ne kun kerkeen. Kiitos noista tiedoista. Täytyypä tsekata kuka tuo Maria Strom mahtaa olla.

TimoV
02.08.11, 10:55
Hjalmar had 3 brothers
- Juho Kustaa (Seth) Virta born 8 October 1882 in Seinäjoki
that I found from records including people disappeared to former Soviet union
- Toivo Mikael born 29 September 1887 in Seinäjoki
- Aaro Aleksanteri born 24 January 1890 in Seinäjoki
The last two might also disappeared to Soviet Union, or changed their names to some "american" name.

Marjapuu
02.08.11, 16:13
- Juho Kustaa (Seth) Virta born 8 October 1882 in Seinäjoki

Juho Kustaa "Seth" Virta left USA in 1922 to work as a carpenter in Soviet Karelia. He was shot in Aunus, Soviet Union in 12.10.1938.
(source: Eila Lahti-Argutina: Olimme joukko vieras vaan")

The two other brothers are not in Lahti-Argutina's list of Stalin's victims.

TimoV
02.08.11, 17:06
Thank's,
One destiny confirmed again.

TimoV
08.09.11, 10:37
Now I'm not sure anymore if this Juho Kustaa is dead in Karelia. Othervise he had left to Karelia later than 1927. I found a passenger record where his sister Roosa Virta is arriving to Canada 13th March 1927, and the destination address is brother Johan Virta, Garson Line, Box 72 Sudbury, Ontario. I haven't been able to check further yet.

Marjapuu
08.09.11, 18:38
Juho Kustaa "Seth" Virta left USA in 1922 to work as a carpenter in Soviet Karelia. He was shot in Aunus, Soviet Union in 12.10.1938.
(source: Eila Lahti-Argutina: Olimme joukko vieras vaan")

This Juho Kustaa "Seth" Virta was born 1882 in Törnävä, Seinäjoki.

1922 was a really early date to leave to Soviet Union. Most of them who left USA for Soviet Karelia, left between 1930-1933. I checked Argutina's records again, it stands 1922 in them, but perhaps it should be 1932?

TimoV
26.10.11, 09:46
I read the book "between a rock and a hard place" and there was lots of stories about communist agitator John Wirta from Sudbury area, who was sent to Carelia abt. 1922 to check the possibilities. He came back to Canada, but might have gone to Carelia later. It crossed my mind that, could this John Wirta be actually this Juho Kustaa?
I tried to find where this John Wirta was born, but did not manage to find any information.

Marjapuu
26.10.11, 16:40
It sounds very possible that he is the same person. There are three details which support this thought.

a) the name: Juho = John (but where did "Seth" come from? Was it a nickname?)
b) the year 1922 in the book and Eila Argutina's files
c) both were living in Sudbury

If he was an agitator, he probably had to go to Soviet Karelia. The agitators were among the last to leave, in 1933.

TimoV
26.10.11, 20:33
It is also know that Enström/Virta brothers have used last name Wirta in Canada.

TimoV
23.02.12, 00:04
Hi,
This is getting interesting. I found this record
http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/emi72tee.htm
and it says that Johan (Juho) Kustaa Virta, born 1882 Seinäjoki Finland, died 1959 Sudbury. Could Lahti-Argutina's list be wrong? How Johan's name has ended to that list?

Marjapuu
23.02.12, 17:20
Very odd. This has to be the right man, because he has exactly the same birth date as the man you are seeking for.

Eila Argutina based her lists on the information she found in the Carelian National Archive in Petrozavodsk. There are errors and misconceptions in her lists.

There may have been two Juho Kustaa Virta's. Or one of them is someone else who used Juho Kustaa Virta's identity or passport.

This is a mystery, indeed. Perhaps somebody in Sudbury knows his story?

TimoV
01.09.14, 12:49
Hi,
Small update to this chain. I have now get in to contact with John/Johan/Juho-Kustaa Virta's grand children in Canada. Our John did not participate any communist activities and didn't go to Karelia at all. Most propably someone has "borrowed" his identity, when travelling to Karelia.