PDA

Arkistonäkymässä ei tällä hetkellä lainaus erotu varsinaisesta viestistä. Suosittelemme että vilkaisette ns. täydellistä versiota: : Mathesius suku

petergmdale
24.09.10, 04:28
I’m trying to determine where the Mathesius family legend originated which states that the Mathesius family descends from the German reformer Johannes Mathesius. My ancestor is the clergyman Mathias Georgii Mathesius (Halicoensis) who was born in approximately 1570 and died in 1622 in Saloinen. He was a Teacher in Turku and Rauma and a Clergyman in Saloinen from 1603-1623. I believe that his father Georgius Mathiae Mathesius (de Halikko) was a Merchant in Turku. The legend states that Georgius’ father Mathias was a Merchant in Stockholm who moved to Finland. Apparently Mathias’ father was the great Lutheran reformer Johannes Mathesius who was a friend and biographer of Martin Luther. However, if you look at the probable birth dates, Mathias cannot have been a child of Johannes Mathesius. Rather he was a contemporary. I’m interested in any background, source material or information regarding this legend and whether anyone has any further information on the Mathesius family’s origin. Thanks.

Regards,

Pete

**In Finnish**

Yritän selvittää missä Mathesius perhe legenda sai alkunsa, jossa todetaan, että Mathesius perhe laskeutuu Saksan uskonpuhdistaja Johannes Mathesius. Minun esi-isä on pappi Mathias Georgiin Mathesius (Halicoensis), joka oli syntynyt noin 1570 ja kuoli 1622 ja Saloisista. Hän oli opettaja Turussa ja Raumalla ja papeille Saloisista 1603-1623. Uskon, että hänen isänsä Georgius Mathiae Mathesius (de Halikko) oli kauppias Turussa. Legendan mukaan Georgius isä Mathias oli kauppias Tukholmassa joka muutti Suomen. Ilmeisesti Mathias isä oli suuri luterilainen uskonpuhdistaja Johannes Mathesius joka oli ystävä ja elämäkerran kirjoittaja Martin Luther. Jos tarkastellaan todennäköinen syntymäaika, Mathias ei ole lapsi Johannes Mathesius. Pikemminkin hän oli nykyaikainen. Olen kuitenkin kiinnostunut taustasta lähtöaineita tai tietoja tästä legenda ja onko jollakulla on lisätietoja Mathesius perheen alkuperää. Kiitos.

Terveisin,

Pete

Pauli
28.09.10, 17:33
I think that a genealogical connection between the German reformer Johannes Mathesius and the finnish Mathesius family is just a legend. The finnish Mathesius family may have taken the name from their home farm called "Mattila." The father of Georgius Mathiae Mathesius de Halikko may have been the owner of that farm. His son has become a merchant and then latinized the name. It's the most likely explanation of the Mathesius name.

petergmdale
05.10.10, 07:27
Hi Pauli, thanks for the message. I likewise agree that the ‘Mathesius legend’ may be fiction. However, I’d like to learn the source of the first mention of the legend, i.e. where did it first appear? Any thoughts on this or further insight to the origin of the Mathesius family would be greatly appreciate. Cheers, Pete