PDA

Arkistonäkymässä ei tällä hetkellä lainaus erotu varsinaisesta viestistä. Suosittelemme että vilkaisette ns. täydellistä versiota: : Still seeking the fate of Lauri S. Lahtinen

Lahtiol
29.08.07, 22:38
I am in my genelogical hobby missing just one person, who vanished in thin air somewhere in North America. The Finnish Consulate in New York tried to locate him unsuccesfully back in 1930's, and he was declared dead some 10 years later.

Lauri Sakari Taavetinpoika Lahtinen was born in Hämeenkyrö parish, Uskela village, March 23rd 1892. Together with four other boys from the neighborhood, Lauri moved to USA in 1910. Lauri was the cousin of David Victor Lampinen, b. 1890 in Ikaalinen, d. 1977-03-18 in Sudbury, Canada. (as shown in http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/emi41yce.htm) and Edvard Lampinen, who travelled on the same ship "Victorian" on May 12th, 1911 with his brother. They were heading towards Copper Cliff, Ontario. - Lauri Sakari Lahtinen's and the Lampinen brothers' uncle Kalle Nurminen had already left for the U.S. in Nov 1902. - I believe these four close relatives knew each others' whereabouts at least for some time.

The only remaining letter from Lauri was dated April 14th, 1924, in Olympia, Washington. Other of Lauri's addresses include P.O.Box 603, Astoria, Ore. and Box 111, Canmore, Alberta.

Several photos of Lauri can be found in the picture gallery of genealogia.fi (http://194.100.116.230/asp/gallery2oa.asp?code=28&kod=7&text=Portraits), and I've received some valuable pieces of information from people, who have seen the pictures there. However the pictures don't tell, what I would like to know: when and how did my great-uncle Lauri pass away, and did he have a family. A story about Lauri Sakari Lahtinen was printed in the Summer 2005 issue of the quarterly magazine Cumtux in Astoria; so far no new information from there.

After the death of Lauri's mother in 1932 the relatives tried to contact him through the consulate with absolutely no result. The letters had stopped coming before 1930's. In a letter written in 1935 to Lauri's sister their father laments the situation: how the consulate is unable to help, because Lauri had been constantly on the move from one state to another, both working and looking for a job, finally receiving U.S. citizenship in the 1920's in some state unknown. At that time he was probably working as an agent for some wholesale company, like he tells in his letter in 1924.

So I'm still haunted with the mystery of Lauri Sakari Lahtinen, my great-uncle who vanished with the Great Depression. And I'm hoping for a new clue to pop up some day - some old census or some other record that would confirm e.g. the citizenship issue. It is so inconceivable that someone could have just disappeared like Lauri did.

My e-mail address is available for possible private replies.

Lahtiol
24.09.07, 19:53
Every once in a while one bumps into information that might be related to the quest. I've come across e.g. this Minnesota death certificate index data:

LAHTINEN, SAKARI
Date of Birth: na (http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Faq.cfm#4)
Place of Birth: na (http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Faq.cfm#4)
Mother Maiden Name: na (http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Faq.cfm#4)

certid# 1927-MN-001808

Date of Death: 10/31/1927
County of Death: CARLTON

There is so much that could fit into the picture: the full name of my great-uncle was Lauri Sakari Lahtinen, and it is known that he disliked the name Lauri because he fealt it could be interpreted as a female name. The date of death in the late 20's is also as expected. But how probable is it that I get any more information than the page already gives, as I cannot tie this record to anything else due to missing date of birth and other information?

admin
01.10.07, 10:33
Karen K and Steve on the Finlander forum wanted me to relay these answers to the ongoing discussion:

Hi , I was looking at the message on Suku asking about Lauri Sakari Lahtinen. I'm unable to reply to his message there and was hoping you could relay a bit of POSSIBLE family information to Lahtiol. He states he has found some info in Mn. death records in Carlton County. Wanted to let him know that there was a LEHTINEN family living in Aitkin County, Mn. which is just west of Carlton County. They lived in Rice River Township and a Mauri Lehtinen ran the Coop store there for many years. This could be another spelling of the name. Also, would like to let him know that sometimes there is more information in the actual death record then is shown in the index on line. I am not related to the family so have no other information. Also he may be able to get a more complete death record from the Carlton County directly. Hoping to help, Karen K.

I have found the following on Ancestry.com:

Seattle Passenger and Crew Lists, 1882-1957
Name: Lauri Oskari Lahtinen
Arrival Date: Jan 1919
Estimated birth year: 1893
Birthplace: Finland
Race/Nationality: Finnish
Port of Arrival: Blaine, Washington
Line: 1
Microfilm Roll Number: M1383_37

Lahtiol
06.10.07, 16:07
Hi Karen K and Steve,

thanks to you both for your replies!

The Seattle passenger list might have the right Lauri; at least it is clear that he was living on the west coast in the early 1920's. But I'm just wondering, why would he use another middle name than his own
(Sakari -> Oskari)?

As for the Lehtinen name: Lehtinen is to my knowledge the most common family name still in Finland, and much more common than Lahtinen. There are so many Lehtinen's, it is not worthwhile to start a research on the assumption that there might be a case of spelling error. For a Finn, it would also be an unlikely error, 'cause the meaning of the word changes.

So, I think this time there is no reason for further studies with these hints. However, I'm very greatful that you've taken time to answer, and I wish you will in turn get all the possible help in your research.

admin
01.10.09, 06:29
Becky Siebold asked me to pass the following via the Finlander forum:

I was wondering if you could pass on a message to "Lahtiol" who posted the message about Lauri S. Lahtinen. I have requested a copy of the obituary on Lauri S. Lahtinen from Minnesota. I should be receiving it in the mail within the next couple of days. When I received it I will post a copy of it to you so that you can forward it.

Becky

admin
13.10.09, 22:29
Another relayed message:

Lahtinen obit
I received the obit for Sakari Lahtinen if you could forward it. Thank you, Becky

MATTSON FUNERAL RITES THURDSAY
Funeral services for Henry Mattson, also known as Sakari Lahtinen, were held yesterday afternoon from the Meraw mortuary with Rev. T. T. Roan officiating. Interment was in Hilcrest cemetery.
Mr. Mattson died at his home at 31 Seventeenth Street, Monday night, Oct. 31. He was a native of Finland and came to Cloquet about 23 years ago. Surviving are his wife, two sons and a daughter.

Kivinen
14.10.09, 03:16
I there any information about the year of that obituary?

Lahtiol
14.10.09, 10:55
If I remember correctly, this obit was from 1927.

And so is quite certain that this is not the Lauri Sakari Lahtinen, whom I am searching. This outcome is as expected, but it is always good to be able to get more certainty to one's theory.

Thank you, Becky, and all others that have commented.

admin
18.10.09, 23:10
Becky responded to the year -question:
It was for Sakari Lahtinen in Carlton County Minnesota:
LAHTINEN, SAKARI
Date of Birth: na
Place of Birth: na
Mother Maiden Name: na
certid# 1927-MN-001808
Date of Death: 31 Oct 1927
County of Death: CARLTON

The death cert. is available at the MHS in St. Paul, Minnesota (I think it is $9.00 for a copy of it).

psta
Hasse

Lahtiol
30.09.13, 18:50
Hi Karen K and Steve,

thanks to you both for your replies!

The Seattle passenger list might have the right Lauri; at least it is clear that he was living on the west coast in the early 1920's. But I'm just wondering, why would he use another middle name than his own
(Sakari -> Oskari)?

So, I think this time there is no reason for further studies with these hints. However, I'm very greatful that you've taken time to answer, and I wish you will in turn get all the possible help in your research.

Wow. Six years later, I must now confess to Steve, I was wrong. Today, looking at data in www.collectionscanada.gc.ca I found evidence Lauri had changed his middle name to Oskar. He was living in Westminster, B.C. in 1918, and moved to Astoria, Oregon in 1919.

Now I must continue with the hint that Lauri Oskar Lahtinen possibly returned to Canada, to New Westminster, where some Lahtinens have lived quite recently.

Lahtiol
26.03.16, 22:39
I just happened to remember that I haven't posted here the result of the quest that took so long.

Lauri Oscar Lahti, age 38, passed 15th of July, 1930, in Portland, Oregon. He was ill with tuberculosis and was staying at a sanatorium there.

What a terrible illness TB was, and is!